Monday, September 13, 2010

Studying Already? Here's how to make the best coffee!



I am only in the first week of classes and I have already spent way too much time hitting the books. The one thing that keeps me sane during those long hours is a nice hot and bubbly cup of coffee or a creamy latte. However, living on a student's budget makes it hard for me to run to the corner Starbucks and pay for a 5 dollar caffeinated treat every time I need a boost, so I have learned to be my own barista. Here are some tips on saving money on your java but still enjoying every sip: 



  • Buy an espresso maker (if you are a latte lover or crave cappuccinos). Sure, there are a lot of machines that can have a price tag reaching $1000, but I grabbed my espresso maker at WalMart for a mere $130 and it works just as well (and has lasted me over a year so far). This will enable you to pull espresso shots and foam milk, the moves required to create a latte, americano, cappuccino or anything else you crave from the Starbucks menu. 
  • Buy fresh beans and a coffee grinder. Ground coffee beans only stay fresh for a few days, so instead of asking for your beans pre ground, buy whole beans and a grinder, your coffee will taste MUCH more fresh. Plus, whole beans stay good for a few months. 
  • Get some tasty syrup. This is something I only just started doing, the syrup adds that extra shot of flavor to your cup of joe. You can pick up any flavors like vanilla, hazelnut or mint at your local coffee shop. 
  • Splurge on quality beans. There is not much to say to this one, find beans that you like and that have been roasted correctly... In other words- beware of the supermarket. 
Those are some of my ideas for making coffee shop- like- coffee in the comfort of your very own home. Believe me, you will never want coffee from anywhere else! 

Sincerely Yours,

The Twenty Something 

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow coffee addict I think an espresso machine may even save me money in the long run at college! Great post x

    ReplyDelete