Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Leggings, Jeggings and Skinnies

Okay so we've all heard about how great these are, how horrible, how inappropriate and how they are on their way out. But I would like to take this opportunity to proclaim to the world- I love all things slim and trim, that includes, leggings, jeggings and skinnies. However, they must be worn a certain way. Read below to see my recommendations for how to successfully pull off these comfy bottoms.

Leggings. 

As a university student, leggings have become an essensial part of my dailey wardrobe.(I like American Apparel brand best, they even have a thicker option for those cold winter days) This is not saying that they can be worn everywhere or with just anything. Below are some rules:
  • When wearing leggings, one must make sure whatever they are wearing over top must cover their bottom, otherwise you run the chance of over exposure. 
  • Although the model is doing this in the picture, please try to avoid wearing leggings with any kind of heal. I think shoes like flats, sandals and boots work just fine- anything else can too closely resemble the 80's.
  • Even if you have the most amazing body imaginable, try to keep the top half of your outfit on the baggier side of things. Because you are going super tight on your bum and thighs means that you should probably keep things modest everywhere else. 
Jeggings
I have to say that I don't own a pair of jeggings, and probably never will, I can get the style I desire with leggings or skinnies. However, if you are looking for something like a legging but with a more structured and thicker material jeggings are for you. All rules apply with leggings, just because they are made of jean material does not give anyone an excuse to flaunt every nook and cranny of your behind to a stranger.

Skinny Jeans

A great pair of dark wash jeans is something you should invest in. I like seven for all mankind, they fit well and have a great wash. These jeans are so versatile because while you can wear them with a classic legging outfit (long billowy top or sweater and boots), you can also pair them with a great jacket and button up for those casual Fridays. One of my favorite looks with dark skinny jeans is to pair them with a great silky top and a pair of pumps for a night on the town!





There you have it folks, my opinion on what some people like to call fashion disastors. Love them, hate them, but please give good reasons for your argument.

Final word- please don't go around knocking these styles until you have tried them, leggings may in fact be the comfiest pair of "pants" I have ever worn.

Sincerly yours,

The Twenty Something

No comments:

Post a Comment